Master Mason Certificate, 1822
Made famous by the fact that George Washington (1732-1799) had been a member and once served as Lodge Master, the Masonic lodge in Alexandria has long celebrated its association with the country’s first president. In 1805 it changed its name to Alexandria-Washington Lodge No. 22. The original design for this certificate likely pre-dated the new name; the angel with a trumpet (representing Fame) displays a banner that notes the old name of the lodge, “Alexandria Lodge No. 22.” The lodge still owns the plate from which this certificate was printed.